Honestly, I live my life by the motto that ‘spice is life’!! I seriously cannot get enough chilli in every dish that I eat…in fact my old roomie use to be disgusted that I would sneak some tabasco sauce into my ice-cream (do not knock it until you try it, vanilla ice cream, tabasco sauce and ice magic is honestly what PMS dreams are made of).
As hostess with the mostess I am pretty much a wannabe domestic goddess when it comes to snacks …I love Jalapeño’s poppers but suck at stuffing them individually so when I saw this Jalapeno Popper Dip on the What’s Gaby Cooking blog I was keen – if you are into food and don’t follow her get on it now!! She is incred and every recipe I have cooked of hers has turned out as a taste explosion!
I am a bit fussy when it comes to food (some additives in sauce make me sick AF) so I altered the OG recipe to remove the processed foods and increase the amount of heat. I have made this three times now cause it is THAT easy and every single time it has not lasted long and there is a line up to get into the dip bowl so if you want to impress everyone with your ‘wifey for lifey’ skillz or you have people coming for game day or you just want a snack to go with winetime for you and the boyf I cannot recommend this enough. My recipe is for 4 to 6 people but honestly, if you want it for dins or for two just halve the amounts or if you want it for 10 plus just double the recipe! It is super easy and super flexible to suit your own tastes.
JALAPEÑO POPPER DIP
Serves 4 to 6 people
- 1 cup of Sour Cream (approx. 250 grams)
- 1 cup of Cream Cheese at room temperature (approx. 250 grams)
- 1 cup of shredded Colby Jack Cheese plus extra for topping
- 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese plus extra for topping
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 3 cloves of Garlic finely diced
- 3 Jalapeños finely sliced plus extra for topping
- 1 Habanero finely sliced (if this is too spicy for your liking you can sub this for any chilli of your preference)
- 4 slices of streaky bacon
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Spring Onions finely sliced or Coriander Leaves for Garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (this can also be cooked in an Airfryer at the same heat)
- Using a non stick frypan cook the streaky bacon until crispy and drain on paper towel once cooked. Crumble into a large bowl and set some aside for topping.
- After you have finished cooking the bacon, using the same frypan cook the garlic and onion until caramelised (the fat from the bacon will aide in the caramelisation). Once caramelised put into the same bowl as the bacon.
- Add the Cream Cheese (at room temperature – it makes it so much easier to mix in), the Sour Cream, the Colby Jack Cheese*, the Monterey Jack Cheese*, the Jalapeños*, the Habanero and the Sea Salt and Black Pepper into the bowl and stir until all together. (*don’t forget to set aside a bit of all of these for the topping)
- Transfer to an oven safe skillet or casserole dish (or Airfryer baking pan if using that option) and sprinkle the remaining cheeses, bacon and jalapeños over the top.
- Bake until Golden Brown for 15 to 20 minutes (15 minutes only for Airfryer). If you like your cheeses extra gooey you can grill for a few more minutes before serving!
- Remove from the oven and garnish with Spring Onions or Coriander (or both if that is your jam) and serve immediately!
- Remind your guests that the pan is hot cause it will be smelling so good people will be rushing in to sample and will forget it is fresh out the oven.
This can be preprepared, so if you have people coming over you can make it up and keep it in the fridge (after the bacon and onion have cooled) and then get it out and in the oven ten minutes before your guests have arrived so it can be served straight from the oven and you don’t miss out on any of the gossip!
If you do decide to make this (and it is tasty AF and easy AF so I really think you should) please share your domestic goddess results on instagram and tag me so I can see all your amazingness and get hungry stalking your pics x